You have to sometime capture historical performance of a windows server, there are many monitoring tools available but Perform is equally beneficial. Steps outlined in the doc can be used on most of the newer windows servers.
- Login to the server.
- Type perfmon.msc in run.
- Navigate to “data collector sets” and click on “New” and then “Data Collector Set”
- Type to friendly Name and click on “choose from a template”
- Click on “basic” since, we only need CPU, Memory details in this scenario but you can select others as per your need.
- Click “Finish”
- Click on recently created Data Collects Sets and go to “Properties”
Data Collector Sets > User Defined
- You can defined the size and when to create a new file for the collected data.
- Click on data collector set under “Data Collector Sets” and Double Click on “performance counter” to validate what parameters will be captured, you can add more counter if needed.
- Here you can find all the performance counter would be collected, and can add more if needed.
- Now starting the data collector, will start putting the data to the specified folder.
Thanks for reading !